No matter who you are, where you come from, or what you practice...or plan to practice. Your spiritual journey has to start somewhere. There is no right or wrong place to start. However, when it comes to my personal journey, I began with chakras. The Webster Dictionary definition of chakras is “any of several points of physical or spiritual energy in the human body according to yoga philosophy.” The term “chakra” has many different meanings varying from practice to practice. Today we are going to focus on the hinduism form of chakras (the seven energy vortexes.)
Here is a brief overview of the chakras:
- Root- located at the base of the spine
- Sacral- located in the groin
- Solar Plexus- located near the navel
- Heart- located by the heart
- Throat-located in the throat
- Third Eye- located in between your eyebrows
- Crown- Located at the tip of your head
To summarize the origins of which you are about to learn. This westernized form of the philosophy of chakras comes from the writings of Sir John Woodroffe in his book called The Serpent Power. Within this form of philosophy, the seven chakras form a coherent line of power from the base of the spine to the crown of the head. In the next coming sections we will go into detail of each chakra, and their meanings starting at the roots.
Crystals: Red Jasper, Bloodstone, Obsidian
The root chakra is the start of your most human self: Survival. This chakras main drive is your safety and your physical connection to the earth. If you are feeling insecurities within yourself, your root chakra may be blocked. If this is the case, find a way to fully connect with yourself. Though this can be seen as easier said than done, you must learn to love all that you’re insecure about.
Crystals: Carnelian, Dragons Blood, Goldstone
- The sacral chakra is your beacon for pleasure. Your sensuality and sexuality become center stage when discussing this chakra. If you are struggling with addiction, or the overindulgence of something, your sacral chakra is most likely blocked. Going overboard in pleasure means you’re distracting yourself from an issue. Enjoy life, but not to the point you could hurt yourself or others.
Solar Plexus :
Crystals: Amber, Citrine, Tiger's Eye
- The solar plexus is where you get your power from. It's how you handle yourself, your limits, and any issues you may come in contact with. If this chakra is blocked you may be abusing the power you have or be letting others abuse yours. In either circumstance you must understand the climate in which you live and use your assertiveness and will for what is best for you, without harming others.
Crystals: Aventurine, Rose Quartz, Rhodonite
- The heart chakra is just like the name sounds, it is how you love. Like David Pond states in his book Chakras for Beginners “The more you love, the more you attract experiences into your life to love.” This chakra is all about your emotional fulfillment in yourself and in others. If this chakra is blocked you will feel the inability to split your issues from those you care for. This can be called a “bleeding heart.” To fix this reverts back to the first chakra, go to the root of your insecurities so that you may love your whole self while also loving those around you.
Color: Light Blue
Crystals: Amazonite, Blue Kyanite, Chrysocolla
- The throat chakra is all about expression. This chakra focuses on your use of communication, your use of creativity, and your originality. If you are in a state of needing to be overly independent this is most likely due to this chakra being blocked. To aid this, understand that it’s ok to stand out, but don’t go against the grain so much to the point that it hurts.
Third Eye :
Color: Indigo Blue
Crystals: Azurite, Blue apatite, Lapis Lazuli
- The third eye chakra is where you can lift the veil of reality and really peer into the unknown. This is where your intuition really comes into play! The third eye chakra when blocked will cause many headaches, scary illusions, and just an overall sense of dread and anxiety. If you wanna regain and unblock this chakra it’s time to do some yoga or meditation. Find a way to be relaxed enough to regain and relish in the universe.
Crystals: Clear Quartz, Amethyst, Lepidolite
- Your crown chakra is your direct link to the divine cosmic energy of the universe. This is where your spirituality is in full focus. If this chakra is blocked you may be experiencing a false reality. You don’t feel connected to where you are or who you are. To get rid of that negative energy don’t be afraid to let go! Surrender to the universe and understand that it’s ok to not have a grasp on every single detail and event.
Until then my friends...
Encyclopædia Britannica, inc. (n.d.). Chakra. Encyclopædia Britannica. https://www.britannica.com/topic/chakra.
Merriam-Webster. (n.d.). Chakra. Merriam-Webster. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/chakra.
Pond, D. (2016). Chakras for beginners: a guide to balancing your chakra energies. Llewellyn Publications.
V, J. (n.d.). The Concept of Chakras or Energy Centers Of The Human Body. https://www.hinduwebsite.com/hinduism/concepts/chakras.asp.
Leave a comment